Saturday, December 4, 2010

Best of 2010 Countdown

It's that time of year again where critics and music buffs start to compile their lists of top music from the last twelve months and then disparage the lists compiled by their fellow critics and music buffs as being "all wrong."  Today on my radio show (which you can listen to at www.wrcufm.com at 1pm) I began my countdown of the top 20 albums of 2010 and will continue it next week.  So as not to spoil the surprise, I'll only post the ones I had time to play today, and edit this post next week to complete the list.  2010 was an incredibly strong year, so if one of your favorites didn't make the cut it doesn't (necessarily) mean that I didn't like it a lot.  Several in the teens and twenties might have made the top 10 one of the last few years.

20. Cary Brothers - Under Control
19. The New Pornographers - Together
18. Stars - The Five Ghosts
17. Jimmy Eat World - Invented
16. Manic Street Preachers - Postcards From A Young Man
15. Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
14. The Black Keys - Brothers
13. Badly Drawn Boy - It's What I'm Thinking (Part One: Photographing Snowflakes)
12. The Weepies - Be My Thrill
11. Antony & The Johnsons - Swanlights
10. Sarah Kirkland Snider - Penelope
9. The National - High Violet
8. Band of Horses - Infinite Arms
7. Sun Kil Moon - Admiral Fell Promises
6. Ray Lamontagne - God Willin' and the Creek Don't Rise
5. Midlake - The Courage of Others
4. Horse Feathers - Thistled Spring
3. Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt
2. Sufjan Stevens - All Delighted People EP
1. The Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

UPDATE:
I've debated whether to include this in this post for a while, but I figured why not? Without fail, any list will be altered as time goes by, but such alterations become largely irrelevant as the here and now are what is important when it comes to music lists.  However, I felt compelled to mention this because the two alterations affect the top of the list.  Absent from this list due to its discovery in late December is Janelle Monae's fantastic album The ArchAndroid, and far too low on the list is Sun Kil Moon's amazing Admiral Fell Promises which reveals its greatness slowly but beautifully (too slowly to make the first draft of this list and my radio broadcast unfortunately).  Therefore, the updated top 3 for the year actually go as follows:

1. Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
2. Sun Kil Moon - Admiral Fell Promises
3. Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt

No comments: